Last Updated: June 2023
Rowr Fitness (“Row’r” or “Rowr”) is an at-home online fitness service. We create virtual experiences, structured workouts, and group events so that you can reach your training goals, become a better rower, and interact with other members who use Rowr. This means that Rowr is a social platform, and that your profile information and information about your rows and workouts are stored for your usage and analysis, and, with your permission, shared with other users and with companies that allow users to connect with each other on other platforms (such as Concept2 Logbook or Strava or Facebook.)
The privacy of our users is important to us and we have prepared this Privacy and Data Usage Policy to explain to you how we collect, use, and share information we obtain through your use of the Rowr application, content, websites, community, and other services provided by Rowr, collectively known as the “Services,” that are operated or controlled by Rowr Fitness, Inc. (“Rowr”).
- Collection of Information
- Information You Provide to Us
To work out with Rowr, you’ll need to create an account or “Subscribe”. To create an account, we ask you to provide your first and last name, screen name, your email address, your country, and information about you such as your age, gender, height, and weight, so that we can accurately calculate information about your workout and align you to groups of similar experience or Classification (Rowr creates classification groups for competitive or comparison purposes based on weight, age, gender, and former rowing experience in order to create a more fair and fun competitive experience. US Rowing uses similar classification based on weight class and gender.) We also collect information you provide to customize your profile, such as your rowing experience, current workout levels, fitness goals, and a profile picture or avatar. This information helps us customize your experience to your needs, and align you with workouts and groups that meet your needs and experience. Collectively, all this information is known as “Account Profile Information”.
Your screen name, country, gender, and picture or avatar will be shared within the Service, so you should use caution in deciding what to use. Other information, such as age, height, weight, and experience will be used to classify you into like groups or normalize for competitions (e.g., power/kg (weight)), and while not explicitly shared, may reverse-calculated by others.
When you subscribe to the Services, Rowr partners with 3rd Party providers to collect your payment method (“Payment Information”), such as Apple Appstore, Google Play, and Stripe. Rowr does not collect nor store your Payment Information.
We collect any other information you provide to us, such as information you provide when you sign up for an event, fill out a form, participate in a survey or contest, apply for a job, communicate with us via third party social media sites, or request customer support.
Finally, we also collect any communications you have with us or with other members of the community using the Services, including via our forums, email to support, or social sharing (“Communications”).
- Information About Your Workouts
When you work out with Rowr, we collect information about that workout, such as your distance, time, pace, stroke rate, power, and many other metrics, and, if you are using a heart rate monitor, your heart rate. We also collect information about any milestones you achieved, awards earned, events participated in, challenges or competitions completed, and fitness test results.
This and all “in-Service” collected information is known, collectively, as “Workout Information”.
- Automatically Collected Information
When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: We collect log information about your use of the Services, including the type of browser you use, app version, access times, pages viewed, features used, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
- Information We Collect From Other Sources
If you create or log into your account through a social media site or ask another online fitness service to share information with us, we will have access to certain information from that site or service, such as your name, account information, and friends lists, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such social media or fitness site or service.
- Use of Information
We use the information we collect to provide, maintain, and improve our Service, such as to provide workout analysis and trends, improve features, show you information about who else is working out with you, and allow you to connect with, engage with, and share workout information with other users. We also use the information we collect to:
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
- Personalize and improve the Service
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages and to respond to your comments, questions, and customer service requests;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, and events offered by Rowr and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you; Establish rider characterization, create rankings and leaderboards, and calculate league points;
- Detect, investigate, and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of Rowr and others;
- Provide content, features, promotions, or advertisements that match user profiles or interests;
- Facilitate contests, sweepstakes, and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
- Background Location Data on Android Devices: The Rowr App on Android collects location data in the background to perform Bluetooth operations. This is done to ensure that Bluetooth Services will resume smoothly when the app is resumed. Location Data is never shared with third parties.
- Sharing of Information
- Sharing with Other Rowr Users
Part of the fun of Rowr is connecting with other users around the world. So, when you use Rowr Services, we share certain information about you with other users. This includes your profile information (including your screen name, country, and “classification,” which will share or infer gender, experience, age group, weight groups) and information about your workouts. This information is available to other users both while you work out and after. In addition, your posts on message boards and in discussion rooms will be visible to Rowr and other Rowr Users. We do not share your your email address with other users.
- Sharing Outside of Rowr
Rowr’s Services may also allow you to share your information outside of Rowr. For instance, you may integrate your Rowr account with third-party fitness apps such Strava, Concept2 Logbook, Garmin, and others. When you integrate with other services in this manner, we will share information in accordance with your interactions and preferences which can be managed through the integration process and Settings. You may choose to share your workout results through social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. In addition, you may choose to share your profile and workout information with select Rowr partners, for the purposes of results, rankings or racing on the Rowr platform, or challenges. When you share information in this way, your information may be publicly available.
We never sell your information, nor will we share your information outside of Rowr and the Rowr community except in the following circumstances:
- With other vendors, at your request, in order to share workout and fitness information with them. (e.g., Concept2 Logbook, Strava, Garmin, Facebook, etc.)
- With vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf, such as for payment processing, providing customer service, sending marketing communications, fulfilling subscription services, fulfilling orders and delivering packages, reviewing Communications via third parties to help manage or to ensure it complies with our terms of service, conducting research and analysis, providing cloud computing infrastructure and other technology that helps us offer our Services and carry out our business, and other business functions;,
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of Rowr or others; and
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company..
We may also share anonymized aggregated information, which cannot be used to identify you.
- Social Sharing and Other Third-Party Features
- General Links and Features
The Services may offer social sharing features, links to third-party websites, and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our Services with other media. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. While we may include opportunities to use or connect to these third-party features or sites, we do not control these sites and are not responsible for their use of your information. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
- Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
- Data Retention
We store the information we collect about you for as long as is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we originally collected it. We may retain certain information for legitimate business purposes or as required by law.
We will retain your information as follows:
- Data about your use of the Services will be retained until you delete your account with us. We will delete Account Profile Information, Subscription Information and Device Information and de-identify Workout Information within 90 days of your deletion request.
- Chat Data is deleted after 90 days.
- Your Choices
This section describes choices available to Rowr Users in all jurisdictions. If you are a resident of the EEA or California, you have additional rights as described in the separate sections applicable to you below.
- Account Information
You may update, correct, or delete information about you at any time by logging into your account and going to Settings within the application. If you wish to deactivate your account, please go to settings and follow the instructions. Note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
- Promotional Communications
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Rowr by following the instructions in those emails or by going to Communication Settings in the Service. If you opt out, we may still send you operational emails, such as those about your account or updates to our Services.
- Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts
With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device, or by going to Communication Settings in the Service
- Sanctioning of Users Based on Fraudulent Information and Performance Metrics
If you are suspected of providing inaccurate information or unfairly manipulating your results, your metrics and performance history will be reviewed and analyzed. We may ask you to provide further information to demonstrate your real life ability if it determines that you are performing at exceptional or suspicious levels based on your Rowr history or your Profile Information (i.e. height, weight, age, HRM, etc.)
Users who are found to have intentionally manipulated results for personal gain, will be disqualified and excluded from results and will not be eligible for points or prizes associated with those results. We may also choose to terminate your account.
You will have the opportunity to contest any decision to disqualify you by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. We may maintain a list of sanctioned riders.
- Transfers of Information
Transfers Outside of the EEA
The information that we collect from you will be transferred to, and stored in, destinations outside of your country and the European Economic Area (“EEA”) in the United States as is necessary to perform our contract with you and provide you the Services.
Other countries may have different standards of protection to your own country and we may be required to disclose your data to governmental bodies in those countries in accordance with, or as required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- Residents of the European Economic Area
If you are a resident of the EEA, you have certain rights and protections under the law regarding the processing of your personal data.
- Legal Basis For Processing
If you are a resident of the EEA, when we process your personal data we will only do so in the following situations:
- We have your consent to do so (e.g., sharing your data with others in the Rowr community to help make our workouts interactive). You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at legal@Rowr.com.
- We need to use your personal data to perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g., processing payments for and providing the Rowr Services you have requested).
- We have a legitimate interest in processing your personal data. For example, we may process your personal data to communicate with you about changes to our Services, and to provide, secure, and improve our Services.
More details on the data we collect and how we use your data is accessible here.
- Your EEA Rights
If you are a resident of the EEA, you have the right to access personal data we hold about you and to ask that your personal data be corrected, deleted, or transferred. You may also have the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing.
Where you have provided your personal data to us with your consent, you have the right to ask us for a copy of this data in a structured, machine readable format and to ask us to share (port) this data to another data controller.
In certain circumstances, you have the right to ask us to delete the personal data we hold about you:
- where you believe that it is no longer necessary for us to hold your personal data (for example, if you decide that you no longer wish have an account with us);
- where we are processing your personal data on the basis of legitimate interests and you object to such processing and we cannot demonstrate an overriding legitimate ground for the processing;
- where you have provided your personal data to us with your consent and you wish to withdraw your consent and there is no other ground under which we can process your personal data; or
- where you believe the personal data we hold about you is being unlawfully processed by us.
In certain circumstances, you have the right to ask us to restrict (stop any active) processing of your personal data:
- where you believe the personal data we hold about you is inaccurate and while we verify accuracy;
- where we want to erase your personal data as the processing is unlawful but you want us to continue to store it;
- where we no longer need your personal data for the purposes of our processing but you require us to retain the data for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims
In addition, you can object to our processing of your personal data based on our legitimate interests and we will no longer process your personal data unless we can demonstrate an overriding legitimate ground.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, you can log into your account and edit your profile. Alternatively, you may contact us as indicated below. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe.
Please note that these rights are limited, for example, where fulfilling your request would adversely affect other individuals or Rowr trade secrets or intellectual property, where there are overriding public interest reasons or where we are required by law to retain your personal data.
- Questions or Complaints
If you are a resident of the EEA and have a concern about our processing of personal data, please contact us in the first instance at email@example.com and we will endeavor to deal with your request. This is without prejudice to your right to launch a claim with the data protection supervisory authority in the EU country in which you live or work where you think we have infringed data protection laws that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data privacy authority where you reside. For contact details of your local Data Protection Authority, please visit Data Protection Authorities.
- Residents of California
If you are a resident of California, you have certain rights and protections under the law regarding the processing of your information.
- Rowr’s Practices With Respect To Personal Information
- Identifiers, such as your first and last name, email address, and home address;
- Demographic information or characteristics that are protected under applicable law, such as your gender;
- Commercial information, including a record of your payments and transactions;
- Internet or similar network activity, including how you interact with the Service, the routes or programs you choose, details about your workout, your interactions with other users, and information about your device;
- the country or area in which you are located; and
- Inferences drawn from other information we collect, which help us better understand you and personalize the Service to you.
We receive this information from you, either when you provide it to us directly or when we collect it automatically from you, as well as from other Rowr users, from your device, and from any social media or other platforms you link with your Rowr account.
We may share any or all of the above categories of information when you direct us to do so, such as when you interact with other users or choose to link your Rowr account with a third-party service. We may also share these categories of information with our service providers for business purposes, or in other limited circumstances described in the “Sharing of Information” section above.
- Your California Rights
If you reside in California, you have the right to:
- Request to know and access the specific pieces and categories of personal information we have collected about you in the past year, as well as the categories of sources from which we collected that information, the business or commercial purposes for collecting that information, the categories of third parties with whom we have shared your information, and the categories of information that we have shared with those third parties.
- Request deletion of your personal information (subject to certain exceptions).
- Request certain information about whether or how we may have shared your information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year.
- Not to be discriminated against for exercising any of the rights listed above.
To submit a request or otherwise exercise these rights, you can email us at legal@Rowr.com. We may need to collect additional information from you in order to verify your identity before responding to your request. You may also designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf, in which case we will ask for proof of your authorization before responding to the request.
- Contact Us
If you have any support-related matters, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also contact us here:
11700 Mukilteo Speedway
Suite 201 – 4014
Mukilteo, WA 98275